- Public Works Division
- Public Works Initiatives
Public Works Initiatives
Additional sanitation programs include:
- Compost Facility - For more information about this facility, please contact the Water/Wastewater Department at (912) 389-3452, or call (912) 389-3467.
- Spring Junk Free Week - This event is normally held the fourth week in April from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday at 1011 Shirley Avenue. Douglas citizens can get rid of large, non-hazardous household items at no charge during this week. Co-Sponsored by Keep Douglas Beautiful.
- Tire Amnesty Week - Normally the fourth week in April each year, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday at 1011 Shirley Avenue. Citzens can dispose of up to 4 tires per citizen at no charge. No commerical and no farm tires. Rubber only - no rims.
Great American Cleanup Day - The Great American Cleanup will be held on Saturday, April 22, 2023, 9:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. This program uses volunteers from the Keep Douglas Beautiful Commitee, 4-H, Girl Scouts, and ROTC students to pick up paper and trash along streets for the beautification of the city. Individuals, churches, clubs and organizations are invited sign up to participate and earn community service hours. The Great American Cleanup up will begin at 9:00 a.m. and last until 11:30 a.m.
Community Junk Drop Off Days
Monthly Community Junk Drop Off Days - Normally on the first and third Saturdays of each month from 8:30 a.m. to 11:45 a.m. at 1011 Shirley Avenue (corner of Shirley Avenue and College Park Dr.). You must be in line prior to 11:30am to drop off. Acceptable brown and white good items include furniture, washing machines, refrigerators, dryers, stoves, microwaves, television, etc. Please drain all chemicals from appliances. This does not apply to hazardous chemicals such as paints/solvents, household cleaners, pesticides/herbicides, motor oil, antifreeze, batteries, or tires. Proof of residency is required to drop off items at the designated location. This is for households in the City of Douglas. Please no business or commercial dumping.
2023 Community Junk Drop Off Day Schedule
The City of Douglas wants to encourage citizens to pick up free compost at the City of Douglas compost site, located at 1009 Wendell Sears Road. The Compost Site is open Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. to 4 p.m. The compost is recognized by the EPA as a soil amendment comparable to potting soil that people would get at home and garden stores. It is extensively tested for bacteria and metals to ensure the safety of its users. It is safe for all garden applications and will not "burn up" plants like granular fertilizers. Composting by the City of Douglas is saving the City money and helping to keep the Earth green. Composting is a green alternative to land filling all the bio-solid and leaf and limb waste from the City. Annually, composting keeps nearly 3,500 tons of material out of our local landfills. Also, it saves the city nearly $1 million in landfill fees and is free to the public.
The site is open year round, and compost is ready for pickup, while supplies last. For more information or to schedule compost pickup, please call 912-389-3452.
The Stormwater Division is responsible for installing and maintaining an adequate and functioning stormwater system including ditches, drain pipes, drop inlets, catch basins, and gutters.
The responsibilities of the Engineering Division include:
- Developing, implementing, and monitoring development requirements
- Preparing cost proposals for construction projects
- Preparing plans and specifications for COD construction projects
- Providing permitting assistance to other departments
- Reviewing construction plans, specifications, and contract documents submitted by the developer
For More Information
For more information about these programs, contact the Public Works Department at (912) 389-3450 or submit a work order.