The City of Douglas is responsible for collecting and disposing of residential and commercial solid waste. The Public Works Department is also responsible for removing yard debris weekly within Douglas city limits. This does not include any materials from land clearing projects or trees cut by a contractor.
The Public Works Department has a contract with Transwaste/GFL Environmental Inc. to collect and dispose of solid waste and recyclable material. Link to GFL Environmental Inc.
Transwaste/GFL Environmental Inc. is also responsible for picking up any household brown or white goods:
- Brown goods are any furnishings from a home, such as sofas, chairs, etc.
- White goods are appliances.
The following items are collected only by Transwaste/GFL Environmental Inc.:
- Chemical containers (drums)
- Paint cans
Please contact Transwaste/GFL Environmental Inc. for a Holiday Pickup Schedule (912) 384-6001.
Correct Placement of Trash Cart for Pickup
- All residential solid waste stored outside the residence pending collection shall be placed in city approved trash receptacles. Under no circumstances will garbage outside of the city-issued container be collected. Customers may request additional containers for an additional monthly fee.
- Beginning the evening before and no later than 6:00 a.m. on the day of collection, customers should place their container(s) at the curbside in front of the customer's residence. The container should be removed from the curbside and returned to a location behind the customer's residence or to a place that is outside of City's right-of-way and out of view from the right-of-way no later than 6:00 a.m. following the scheduled day of service. Customers routinely allowing containers to remain at curbside outside of the hours specified shall be deemed to create a nuisance, punishable as a violation of the Code.
- It shall also be unlawful for any person to store any scrap tires on residential property or to willfully discard or place tires on private property and public rights-of-way. All persons engaged in scrap tire handling, within the city, shall do so in strict compliance with the requirements of OCGA 12-8-20, et. seq., and chapter 391-3-4-19, Rules of Solid Waste Management, as applicable to scrap tires.
View the Sanitation Ordinance in its entirety.
For More Information
For more information about these services, contact the Public Works Department at (912) 389-3450 or Transwaste/GFL Environmental Inc. at (912) 384-6001.
Have an Issue or Need to Report a Problem?
Our "One Click to City Hall" request tracker offers customers the ability to submit concerns and work orders to the City of Douglas.